Some words of Stupidity

No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

-- George Bush Sr.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

No God in Government (Please)

So being a libertarian minded person, I often think about what place God or Gods have in Government. As you might expect, I do not think they should have any place in government. This is a hard sell for people who are religious in the US, or even for my fellow humans the world over. Let's stick though with what I know, the US.

It seems to me that in the US there is this thin veneer that covers politics in religion. You do not always see it, but it is there when you hear a politician end a speech in a prayer, or you here the Pledge of Allegiance end in "So help me God." Speaking of which, here is a video I have always wanted to comment on myself.



I wish I could have coached Newdow, or had an ear-piece connection with him to tell him to point out the difference between him and that Blonde News-babe fascist. Here is the difference, if the US was filled with atheists mostly and the Pledge of Allegiance instead had the phrase "... one Nation, under no God or Gods, ...", Newdow would still think it is wrong. I hope anyone reading this sees the difference. The Pledge of Allegiance should not have ANY mention of God or Gods or anything else supernatural.

The Right-wing Culture warriors of course would disagree. Using the fatuous logic that by having Politicians not mention God and no God mentioned in the Pledge of Allegiance, is a tacit admission by the Government that there is no God. This is false logic of the worst kind. Lack of mention is NOT mention of lack. It is just that simple.

The Pledge of Allegiance has been changed three times since it's original version written by Francis Bellamy. The versions changed "my flag" to "flag of the United States" and then added "of America". The final version we have now added "under God" in 1954 because of the Red Communist scare. Here it is.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Compare that to the original by Bellamy.

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

What a nice change. This version does not discriminate between Theist or Atheist alike. It is much more a statement of responsibility because of the "my flag" then the one we have now, which is to a far degree a statement of blind fealty.

Speaking of which, why is it that children in schools daily get up and recite some words that they probably do not know the full meaning of? Isn't that a bit fascist all by itself? Well, at least one child has taken the time to think about what the words mean, as the next video shows.



What a great kid, standing up to peer pressure to make a point. I applaud him with all my heart and hope you do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment